Safety: Students learn about the safety requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, safe work practices and procedures, WHMIS, Working at Heights, Lock Out & Tag Safety, Confined Spaces Hazard Awareness, Aerial Platform, and Scaffold Training.
Installation and Termination Methods: Students demonstrate the operation of hand and power tools; as well as installation procedures for switching devices, various cables, tubing and conduits. There will be emphasis on the Network Cabling side in the following areas:
- Install a wallboard adapter or telecommunications outlet box as required by customer specifications.
- Dress cable in cable trays and apply wire management procedures as required.
- Identify the common components of a building grounding and bonding system.
- Fish cable through a wall or conduit to a work area outlet.
- Terminate a 25-pair cable between two 110 blocks.
- Terminate a group of Category 5e cables between two 110 blocks.
- Terminate a Category 5e cable into an RJ-45 (8P8C) jack.
- Terminate a Category 5e cable into an RJ-45 (8P8C) plug for shielded twisted-pair.
- Installation and termination methods for coax table.
Electrical Code: Students learn the rules and regulations of the Canadian Electrical Code (CEC). As well, students learn how the code is organized, how to identify new rules, the scope and objectives of administrative requirements, tables and appendices.
Blueprint Reading: Students obtain information from architectural, structural and mechanical drawings, specifications, the building code and CEC to complete an electrical installation for a single dwelling.
Employability Skills: Includes Resume Writing, Interview Skill Training, Customer Service Training, Communications Skills Training, and Timesheet Skills Training.
- Minimum of a Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent, or a mature student
- Pass an entrance test administrated by PAT
- Be interviewed in detail regarding interest in the field
- Meet any additional program specific entrance requirements
Are You Career Training Ready? Find Out!
Take the PAT Institute "Career Training Readiness Quiz"
The fun, online quiz takes 3-minutes to complete and you’ll get a personalized report. Identify your strengths and social style plus the training and positions you’re best suited for. Get Your Career Readiness score now.